[Shop-talk] air conditioning misting system

Jimmie Mayfield mayfield+shoptalk at sackheads.org
Fri Aug 11 07:04:51 MDT 2017

I think I posted to this list 3-4 years ago about some of my experiments
with this.  I was scheduled to have a new pair of heat pumps installed
later that week so I wasn't concerned with ruining the coils.  When
directly misting the coils, I recall measuring a ~30% drop in current
drawn by the compressor.

I agree, though, that this is probably a bad idea long term.  At
minimum, I'd expect scale to build up on the fins and that'll have a big
effect on heat transfer.  But even if you're using distilled water, I'd
expect to see increased corrosion where the aluminum fins contact the
copper coils because you're subjecting those junctions to constant water
(more so than normal condensation).