[Shop-talk] termite inspection and insulation

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 18:20:12 MDT 2017

John - The termite guy can check the poly on the floor for termite
droppings as long as the poly isn't too dirty, so there should be no
issues with his inspections.  If you have signs of active termites,
maybe there is some justification for removing insulation, but
otherwise, I'd say leave it.  If there is an area with a moisture
problem, like under a bathroom, he can spot check by pushing the
insulation away from the joist.

I've had mixed experiences with termite guys and construction.  When I
bought my current house, I said no to almost all their "repairs" and did
it myself before the tenting.  Some of what I said yes to I wish I
didn't.  I had a good contractor over and he looked at my side porch and
asked "termite repair?"  It was that bad.

I've seen things about sealing crawlspaces at the perimeter, but if you
are in a mild area, I think what you have is probably just fine as long
as the craft paper is on the correct side.  Before you remove anything,
I'd seek a second opinion.

Brian - dealing with termite inspectors annually since 2000