[Shop-talk] GOOD Wifi access point

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Mon Apr 10 12:07:56 MDT 2017

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017, Karl Vacek wrote:
> Sooooo - I want to disable this wifi and buy my own.  I've Googled and read,
> but reviews are confusing and I have no idea who's paid by advertisers to
> push this one or that one.
>
> So many guys on this list are well-versed in IT - what do you experts
> recommend for a powerful wifi access point and also one or more range
> extenders?

    FWIW, I recently went through the same operation, except with AT&T.
Between myself, and an AT&T technician, we tried five different routers.
AT&T also uses Arris equipment, so they tried an NVG589 and two NVG599s.
The wireless performance on those was similar, but the 589 could not
negotiate with the broadband network.  Not wanting to be tied to AT&T's
rig, I bought and tried two highly-rated Asus units ( RT-AC1200 & RTAC66U
) , and a Linksys ( AC1750 ).  None of them were any better than the
NVG599 -- and one markedly worse -- so I returned them after unsuccessful
testing and tuning.

    So I am sticking with the AT&T-branded NVG599 for now, but I might try
some of the other recs from this thread.

--
  David Hillman