[Shop-talk] GOOD Wifi access point

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Sun Apr 9 20:02:46 MDT 2017

Karl,

I have been using wireless routers by Mikrotik. The company is based in Latvia but have sales outlets around the world. Cheap, good & reliable. I've used some of their routers in an RV park in central Texas where it is mounted on a pole on the roof. In 6 years I had to make one service call to reconnect a plug that came loose.

Most home routers are 100 mw or less. These routers run up to 1000 mw last time I checked.

Mikrotik might be worth looking into but it is not as user friendly, being that is a commercial product. There is a wiki on their site covering all aspects of their products as well as a users group.

Price? I generally use their models priced from $50 to less than $100.

I think I'm using a RB951Ui-2HnD in my shop. It is 1000 mw on 2.4 ghz. It sells for $60. The router at the RV park is faster & supports 3 1000 mw radios, much more than you need!

Even if you need to pay someone to program it for you, it's sill a great deal.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity