[Shop-talk] Stubbornness and the impediments to troubleshooting

Neil Sherry neiljsherry at talktalk.net
Thu Apr 6 02:58:16 MDT 2017

Plenty of studies on this sort of thing - in some realms it is known as
'Psychological Inertia' - the tendency for our minds to head along a certain
familiar path. It is vital to how we function - so we can do routine tasks
without stopping to think - like tying our shoelaces, driving - in fact most
of what we do.
It becomes an impediment when we need to do something different - whether
that is new thinking for innovation and invention or troubleshooting a
problem that doesn't follow the obvious pattern - and in many cases the
answer was blindingly obvious, but we just didn't see it. Think of many
jokes - the plays on words that sneak up on you.
You can't just tell someone to think differently, or snap out of it, we need
tricks to do it. So many lateral thinking techniques do this - and the tip
of talking to the dog or whatever is another good way.
Neil