[Shop-talk] Improving truck performance

Dave Cavanaugh cavanadd at frontier.com
Sun Apr 2 17:53:35 MDT 2017

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra half ton, 2WD extended (not crew) cab.  I
believe it has a 5.3 Vortec engine, automatic transmission, unsure of
the axle ratio. I'm the original owner, and it has about 74,000 miles on
it.  Other than the tires and radio, it is completely stock and is in
generally very good shape.  It fits my needs, and has been totally
reliable to date, and I plan to keep it for the foreseeable future.   It
also has a Leer fiberglass canopy on it right now, but it'll probably
come off when I finish my move later this year.  It's not my daily
driver; I typically use it to pick up lumber, construction supplies and
other routine truck duties.  I typically don't do much towing, and  I
have never been unhappy with the performance until last year when I
started making multiple trips from Washington to Utah, usually towing an
8 to 12 foot UHaul trailer with my shop stuff in it.  This trip includes
several mountain passes and quite a bit of elevation change.  The truck
performs OK, but not great.

I don't have a boat or RV, and I'm not trying to turn it into a one ton
hauler; I would just like some suggestions as to possible mods I could
have done to the engine to improve the performance and, if possible,
improve the gas mileage.  It generally gets about 16 MPG on these
trips.  Any ideas?

---