[Shop-talk] Engineering question

Matt mbarre at juno.com
Sun Nov 27 13:48:31 MST 2016

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and have plenty to be thankful for! I am adding diesel storage capacity to my shop.I got a good deal on an aluminum semitruck fuel tank ( 26" diameter  68" long) and need to construct a stand for it.These are normally secured on the truck with metal straps or bands. For my stand I am considering constructing large "X" from pressure treated 4x4 and resting the tank in the upper V.I would tie them together with 2x4 s to keep them from cocking.  I figure I would be safe with 3 Xs if any doubt, 4 to make sure. Question:  If I went with only 2 supports and kept them out on the ends, would the bending moment (bowing) threaten the integrity of the tank?150 gallons is about 1000#.  Similarly, would the reduced "contact patch" of X mounts vice continuous straps threaten the tank walls? I am sure I could dig out my old Statics book and find the equation, but don't have a design bending limit for the tank.I am anticipating that just 2 supports, especially out at the ends would be too risky.  Thanks for your thoughts,Matt in GA