[Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go-Jacks followup)

Karl Vacek stearman809 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 12:35:08 MST 2016

I’ve used BatteryMinders for more than a dozen years and have experienced excellent battery life on every battery I’ve kept on them.  I own 6 of the small ones and one of the large models.

My airplane battery is on the large one whenever I’m not flying it.  Most aircraft batteries die in 2-3 years, and cost $250-$300.  Mine is 9 years old now and still starting the plane just fine.

My lawn mower battery, lawn tractor battery, the car battery used for a 12V winch, and the battery in Jill’s MG Midget all stay on the little BatteryMinders whenever not in use, and all are at least 7-8 years old now.  I use the other two BatteryMinders here and there on other batteries as needed.

Without BatteryMinder protection, our regular car batteries last 2-3 years (Costco batteries - they now sell Interstate). I’ve used Costco’s warrantee many times, and keep buying them because of the warrantee.

A BatteryMinder requires battery voltage over some threshold before it will function.  Bought a Vector charger a few years ago and it died – it also required some threshold voltage before it would charge a battery.  I have a 1975 Schumacher charger on its third and I hope last set of diodes, used for emergencies – it’ll start a completely dead car with a couple of minutes’ boost charge.

I’m convinced that BatteryMinder is the way to go.

Karl