[Shop-talk] blue screen problems... need the gurus

Tony Vaccaro tvacc at lotusowners.com
Thu Mar 31 09:43:16 MDT 2016

From: Shop-talk [mailto:shop-talk-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of John
T. Blair
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:55 AM
To: shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net>
While I see the logic in this, I have never had that thought. I have been
working on computers for 35 years. Blown out hundreds of computers.
Sometimes I block the fan, sometimes I don't, but if I do it is only to not
damage the fan and I just usually do it on Laptops as the fans are much more
fragile.

I have never had a computer fail to restart (which damaging the CPU would
do) after blowing it out. My blower is super powerful and I used to use
compressed air. I would spin those suckers right up.

I would suspect there is a crowbar circuit in the CPU logic circuitry to
prevent this from happening.

I am not saying that this is not possible, just in all my years I have never
seen it happen and I have seen most other computer related stuff happen. Not
much I have missed.

Tony V

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] blue screen problems... need the gurus

At 10:01 PM 3/30/2016, Brian Kemp wrote:

>John - You may have a dust problem.  Remove the power cord and open the
>computer.  Take a shop vac that blows or some compressed air and clean
things
>out.  It is best to do this outside.

John,

If you blow down the inside of the computer with compressed air, put a
finger on
the fan on the CPU.  You don't want it to turn.  The compressed air can spin
up
the fan a lot faster than it is supposed to run.  So a DC motor being turned

externally becomes a generator, and spinning faster then design speed causes
it
to output a higher voltage than it runs on.  This overvoltage is being
applied back
to the mother board and can back feed the CPU and cause it to fail.

John