[Shop-talk] chainsaw problem

john niolon jniolon at att.net
Mon Mar 14 11:47:02 MDT 2016

Hi all

I've got a Husqvarna 55 rancher chainsaw... few years old but low hours... seldom used. Need to remove some trees so I pulled it out to get ready... here's my problem

when I pull the starter rope it will only pull out about 6" and I get serious resistance.

Chain brake is off
choke is set to on
chain moves when pulled manually around the bar.. ?????

so I remove the spark plug and try it again... rope pulls freely like it should) and I can see piston moving up and down the cylinder...  so the reciprocating parts are working????

so I'm thinking maybe got a valve stuck and compression is holding the saw... this saw has no compression release

I'm stumped ...any suggestions ?? Right now it's sitting on the bench with the piston at TDC and full of penetrating oil.. thinking maybe something might free up...
hoping I don't have to tear this thing down..

help ??

thanks

john