[Shop-talk] step drilling holes

john niolon jniolon at att.net
Tue Aug 9 16:02:30 MDT 2016

had to drill some one inch holes (several) in 1/2” plate.  Using a drill press so that helps... I wouldn’t try a 1” hole with a hand drill ! Didn’t really think a hole saw was the right way so I just stepped up starting with a 3/8” bit then up to 3/4. then up to 1”... Worked fine.. lots of oil, took my time... but while I was bored (pardon the pun) I was thinking about the best steps to use...   when drilling large diameter in thick steel is there an accepted increment you should use ??  1/4” increments ??  1/8” ??      job is done but I was never taught this I just kinda used what I thought would work.   Suggestions ??

thanks
John