[Shop-talk] Buying a new compressor of just the 'compressor'?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 25 17:12:35 MST 2015

> My question, is it better to replace the whole
> unit, or just
> the compressor pump?

Even here in relatively dry southern California, my last (cheap) compressor tank rusted through and started leaking before the
compressor packed it in.  At one point I also had the pressure control switch malfunction and leave the compressor running; plus the
pop-off valve didn't do it's job (apparently full of wasp's nest).  Probably lucky it didn't explode, but the single stage
compressor would only go so high.  The PRV sure screamed a long time after I touched it, though!  So if you're looking to go another
20 years, my suggestion would be to replace all of it.

> So, if you were buying a new compressor, what one would you
> go for under
> $2000?  (240v of course.)

Ingersoll-Rand is the "gold standard" for air compressors IMO.  I'd find an IR model that suits your needs and go with that.  The
one I use was made by IR, but sold by Sears.  It's probably 20 years old by now (I bought it used) and still going strong, but I
don't use it all that much.

-- Randall