[Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 10 18:17:39 MDT 2015

Scott - Lots of questions that raise concern.  Please consider getting
an estimate from a couple plumbing contractors instead of doing the work
yourself.  They should do it to current code and make it all correct.
While there is something to be said for doing things yourself, sometimes
it is in your best interest to bring in a pro for something like a gas
line.  They will use proper shutoffs, pipe, and even the correct gas
safe thread sealant on the pipe joints.  You may even find that the
estimate is reasonable.

I'm remodeling two bathrooms in my house right now.  I did all the demo
to expose the pipe, including taking the walls and ceiling to the studs,
breaking a trench in the concrete slab for one bath, and trenching to
expose the outside drain line, but brought in a plumber to put in the
new supply and drain lines.  I'm doing the finish plumbing to save
money.  Codes have changed from when the house was built, so if I did
the work, it would have been wrong, especially in the second bath that
wasn't permitted when built and really screwed up.  The professional
plumber also had all the necessary tools and fittings in their truck for
the job.  I know it would have taken my much longer and multiple trips
for fittings and other parts.  They may also have options not available
to you so they can be much more efficient.

I don't know the specifics, but gas and water valves are different.
Hopefully someone else on the list can help there.  In my area, I
believe gas also had to be black pipe.  There are also places were a
drop was required so any sediment in the line wouldn't go to the
appliance and places were a flex hose had to be used.

Finally, if you ever have the gas turned off, the gas company may
require that their service person verify proper connection of all gas
appliances.  I had this happen twice since 2009 at my current house.
The first was when the house was tented for termite fumigation.  They
went to everything gas - furnace, water heater, dryer, gas fireplace,
and wood fireplace with gas lighter and tested everything and re-lit the
pilot lights.  The second time was when they had to shutoff the gas to
the street for a supply line repair. They required an inspection by the
gas company service guy to turn the gas back on.  There was no cost for
the inspection.  I'm in the Peoples Republic of California, so maybe
have more restrictions, but I've seen two blown up houses from a gas leak.

If you do decide to do your own work, please read up on the code and
common practices as gas problems can be quite significant.

Brian