[Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?

Scott Hall scott.hall.personal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 15:13:26 MDT 2015

Sigh. Resurrecting this thread:

Does it turn "off" counterclockwise and "on" clockwise?

The water heater won't fire, and the shutoff is not turning smoothly. If I
didn't know better, I'd think it wasn't supposed to be turning at all. I'm
not entirely sure the gas is even on

I think I'm going to turn the whole house off and start swapping these for
regular quarter-turn ball valves with lever handles. There's a ball valve
with a lever that terminates into an open length of pipe and opening that
ball valve produces a whooshing noise, so there's gas behind the line to
the heater. Could be the heater's dead--it's awful-looking and I should
swap it anyway really.

Might was well re-do the whole system while I'm there.

So I guess now this is a: "any advice for someone about to re-plumb the gas
lines in his house?" thread.

Think I'll get a tankless water heater. Those seem to be the thing now.

And I'll be running a line to the garage, too. It will need its own furnace
and water heater (shower), or else for me to extend the hot-water heat into
it. I don't think I want to do that.

Scott