[Shop-talk] Optima batteries

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Aug 10 04:16:50 MDT 2015

Interesting.  I saw the original but I saw no responses.

I've run Optima batteries for 15 years.  Rarely have I used a charger with a specific setting for AGM batteries but then I rarely use an external charger.  When I do, it is just overnight.  The regulator in the alternator doesn't know the difference yet I regularly get 7 - 8 years out of a battery with regular driving.

I have used the trickle charger from Horrible Freight for years with good results (non-automotive but still AGM batteries) but then there was an incidence in Dallas where (apparently) the regulator in the trickle charger failed and the resulting accumulation of hydrogen gas ignited causing a fire that destroyed the house and two vintage automobiles.  That said I would have no problem using a trickle charger but if you are going to leave it unattended for an extended period of time I would use a wall wart timer and set it to an hour a day.  I'd do the same with any automatic charger.

 Back to lurk mode.

Dave Massey