[Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 5 18:42:13 MST 2014

---- Jim Stone <1789alpine at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the KN options (I
> think that is what Edd is using) are so good and increase horsepower, why
> wouldnt the manufacturers - particularly BMW - put them in to begin with?

Because manufacturers warranty the engine.  There's also the emissions aspect
of rings that wear out, and so on, plus most people don't like hearing intake
noise.  The K&N filters do flow more easily, as they claim, but they also stop
less dirt than the stock filters.

And from the real world tests I've seen, the power increase isn't all that
much either.  One percent is useful on the track, certainly, but hardly
noticeable on the street.
Randall