[Shop-talk] Electrical safety question (and Alaska local question)

Mark Andy marka at maracing.com
Thu Jul 24 08:48:00 MDT 2014

Howdy,

If I'm reading it correctly, you're doing basically what lots of motorhomes
do.  Ours has a 240v 50A power connection.  There are no 240vac loads in
the coach.  Adapters are used to combine the 240vac hot legs together,
sharing a common neutral and ground, to enable you to plug into a 110vac
line.  That means that in the coach what were separate 110vac runs now
share a common hot wire, but aside from that combining those loads on the
supply circuit (which almost certainly means there's less power available),
there's no negative effect.

Mark