[Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 14:41:14 MST 2013

---- Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another option would be to install an automatic closer on the door.  Then
> the door wouldn't be open when somebody wasn't there holding it.  However,
> I think that this would probably make the door treacherous (and extremely
> inconvenient) to use.

Hmm, what about a remote controlled automatic opener/closer, like one sometimes see on hospital doors?  Push a big button (positioned so you can bump it with an elbow if your hands are full) and the door opens long enough to get through it, then closes.  You could have switches on both sides, making it more practical to close the door while in the basement.  Probably combined with some indication from above that someone is down there, so you know not to block the door.

Randall