[Shop-talk] Plasma cutting eye protection

David Hillman hillman at planet-torque.com
Sun Jan 6 23:00:07 MST 2013

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013, eric at megageek.com wrote:
> OK, I've been using my autodarkening welding helmet for my plasma cutting
> since I got the cutter.  It works OK, but I can't see any lines that I
> make to great cuts.

    What is the "autodarkening helmet", specifically?  I think you need a
higher quality one.  That doesn't necessarily need to be really expensive.
I use a Speedglas 9002X and, while I rarely plasma cut by hand since I got
my CNC table, I didn't have much trouble seeing when I did.  I also setup
guides, straight-edges or whatnot, which make following lines a lot
easier.

    The difference between what you can see with a high-quality hood,
versus a cheap one is alarming.  I had a low-end Jackson-made
hood previously, and thought it was fine... until I got a Speedglas.
Now I can see the arc, and the details of the adjacent puddle, and work
piece, while tigging for example.  Immediately made my welds better when I
switched hoods.  I kicked myself for wasting time with the low-end one.

    With very rare exceptions, if your body hurts after doing something,
that means stop doing it ;)

--
  David Hillman