[Shop-talk] LED light bulbs in garage door operators

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Tue Aug 13 11:26:35 MDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Darrell Walker" <darrellw360 at mac.com>

> Just one data point (well two, as I have two openers), several years
> ago I
> put a CF bulb in my garage door opener, as I didn't have a regular
> bulb. I
> expected it to fail quickly, but when it didn't, I replaced all of
> them (each
> opener has two). They have been going fine for at least five years.

Where do you live?  Here in Minnesota it gets too cold for CF bulbs to start reliably.

> Incandescent bulbs, even rough service, tended to
> last
> less than a year.

I must have gotten a good one, then.  It had been in there for over a decade.

At a couple of bucks a pop for rough-service bulbs, I'm sticking with them.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier at comcast.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier