[Shop-talk] Tire Pressure gauges

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 07:57:36 MDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM,  <eric at megageek.com> wrote:
> OK, here is my most 'anal' post to date...
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to get an *ACCURATE* tire pressure
> gauge.  But I have no idea how to check or calibrate them.

At least you aren't alone.  The question runs in my family too.   My
dad once went into a tire store with a similar question - "How do you
calibrate your tire gauges?" - and they looked at him like he was from
Jupiter.

I suppose there are electronic gauges that are reasonably accurate,
though a calibration certificate is expensive.  And then there's this:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1520&catid=8

Lots more choices here
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/catlist.asp?catid=8 including an
"economy" gauge for $40 that "reads to 1/2 lb".  No mention of
accuracy, though.  Need to go more $$$ to get them to say anything
about that..

I'm curious as to what others may have to say...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.