[Shop-talk] Fw: car hauler advise needed

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Sun Jun 24 06:03:57 MDT 2012

An old rule-of-thumb is to have the hitch drop 1 inch when the loaded trailer is added.  All you need to do is measure the hitch height, then hook up the trailer and roll your load around until you reach the magic 1-inch drop.  Do this test with the ignition off, since your Suburban may have an air-ride leveling system.

I run the Stag almost as far back as I can.  The Elise rides far enough forward that I can carry a couple of tires behind the strapped-down Race Ramps.

If you hook up your load-leveler stuff, do not get the final hitch height higher than your pre-trailer level.  I don't use a load-leveler.  I expect my enclosed trailer and Stag about equals your open trailer and pickup.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier