[Shop-talk] Amateur Body Work

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jun 15 13:03:22 MDT 2012

Google 'do-it-yourself autobody work' or similar and you'll have reading material for the next century.

There are usually three ways to repair a bashed-in panel:
1) cut and replace
2) pull out with a slide hammer puller
3) use a stud welder

All will probably require at least some filler ('bondo').

Autobody work is a craft and can take years to master, but with practice you can do most things yourself. You'll have to make an initial investment in tools, like body hammers and dollys, puller or stud gun and you'll wish you had a MIG welder--and knew how to use it--if you don't already. Power tools--usually compressed air-powered--are essential; you'll want a die grinder and a cutoff wheel at the least.

Then comes painting, which is truly an art. The good thing is, at least here in the States, low-cost paint guns--and other tools for that matter--are available from places like Harbor Freight and they are good enough quality to at least get you started.

One of the best pieces of literature I've perused is Duffy's: http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Manual-Duffys-Repair-Technology/dp/1418073547

Good luck and have fun.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA