[Shop-talk] wiring question

Wayne wmc_st at xxiii.com
Mon Aug 20 05:25:47 MDT 2012

On 8/19/2012 6:52 PM, Tim wrote:
> What is the thought process behind the relay being close to the horn?
> And how close does close need to be?

It's basically a remote control switch. It lets you run low voltage /
low current wiring to a remote switch [eg: on your dashboard or steering
column] of modest capacity, and switch a device of much higher from a
distance. With large enough gauge wire, it doesn't have to be close, but
generally, the idea is to minimize the heavy-gauge wiring distance.

If you wanna go on the cheap  -- I've been a Nissan guy for a long time.
There is a very standard "blue relay" used for the last 20+ years. You
can probably chop one and a socket out of about any scrap yard Nissan.
Might be cheaper than the FLAPS. Who seem to be charging more & more for
their crap parts every day. Kinda sad I can order Brembo BMW rotors from
Amazon.com and pay shipping on 40 lbs of parts for less than I can score
junk locally.

-Wayne