[Shop-talk] wiring question

Wayne wmc_st at xxiii.com
Sun Aug 19 13:20:01 MDT 2012

Not a dumb question at all. Neither of us bothered to look it up on the
'net, but right off, I'd say 16 ga is too light. Wire gauge requirements
are based on current, not voltage and I'd guess 12 or 14 ga would be
appropriate. Low voltage systems are less efficient at transferring
energy, and to drive the same power into a device at only 13-ish volts,
you need proportionately more current and havier gauge wire than what
you'd use in your home at 120V. That's why power company mains are
cranked up to thousands or hundreds of thousands of volts for the long
haul, then knocked down with a local transformer.

OTOH, you're presumably not gonna use it that often, and then only for a
couple seconds at a time max, so you can probably get a way with the
light gauge stuff. Wouldn't do it for a constant draw, like lights however.

-Wayne