[Shop-talk] Explorer brake lines

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Mon Aug 6 13:08:08 MDT 2012

BTW, my 2001 Ford Explorer has 215,000 miles on it, and still all the
original brake lines. (Original everything except alternator, steering
linkage, and a few of the plastic clips on the drivers door handle.)

I don't mean to flame, but there are lots of factors for brake line
longevity...

First, it sounds like this truck is near a large body of water (possibly
salt) and sits, undriven, most of it's life, outside.  Those are three of
the worst factors for metal components.

I've worked on an over 20 year old Ford van with only a line or two that
was bad, but I more recently replaced a front brake line on a <4 year old
Cadillac.  So I can't say that make and model mean anything.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson