[Shop-talk] Ford Explorer Brake Line Repair

Wayne wmc_st at xxiii.com
Mon Aug 6 01:28:33 MDT 2012

On 8/5/2012 6:05 PM, Jim Stone wrote:
> I am currently 'borrowing' a cousin's vacation house.  The cousin, who is
> extremely generous with the house, leaves his 2004 Explorer here for his
> guests to use.  Unfortunately, the brakes went out while we were driving it
> today and a little inspection revealed that the right front brake hose has
> split.  I only have limited tools here and no way to put the car on jack
> stands or ramps, but it looks like a very simple repair to me requiring only a
> socket wrench and one open end, followed by a bleed.  Has anyone here ever

An 8 or 9 year old truck blew out a brake line?! Think I'd be calling an
attorney, not a mechanic. What a POS. No wonder they call them "Exploders"

How long till any of the others blow? I wouldn't put myself or family in
it till it's been on a lift and thoroughly inspected. Dunno how you
would perform such a repair without at least jacking it and pulling the
wheel.

-Wayne