[Shop-talk] Follow up on the shaky steering

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Tue Apr 10 14:32:08 MDT 2012

OK, so I just wanted to follow up with the shaky steering situation on my
truck.

I flushed all the fluid from the system, added new fluid and let that
flush through, then I put the hose back on an filled up the system.  I
tried to bleed it but I could get a good seal (and why is it so impossible
to find anyone that carries a plug for bleeding power steering units under
vacuum?)
Anyway, none of that worked.  In fact, it seem to be worst.

So I started to call around for full replacements (rack and pinion, pump,
lines, etc.)  When I called my local mechanic to get an estimate, he told
me to bring it by the next day (today) and he would look at it to give me
a price.

Well, this morning, I pulled out of the garage and I got the shaky
steering as I pulled out.  Then, once I started driving, it was gone.  So
I drove the mechanic and told him that I would keep driving it to see if
it did it again.

So far, its been fine.  So it looks like a fluid flush, then sitting over
night has cured the problem!

So, that was a $900 job saved!

Eric P
Waldo Emerson