[Shop-talk] battery tender--Thanks

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 08:23:57 MDT 2011

Just to be clear, overcharging isn't 'boiling,' like boiling water. The too-high charging voltage causes the sulfuric acid electrolyte to release hydrogen gas; the bubbles are the result of a chemical reaction, not heat. I don't remember the equation but, basically, you're releasing the H2 from H2SO4. The SO4, 'sulfate,' will settle to the bottom of the battery and short out the plates.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA