[Shop-talk] Dry Cell Batteries

Doug Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Tue Feb 16 08:45:22 MST 2010

The lower voltage limit really depends on what sort of load the battery is
expected to supply.  An almost-dead battery might work fine for something like
a TV remote, but be useless in a flashlight or digital camera.

That said, I
toss any battery with a voltage less than 1.3

Maybe you should set aside the
"dubious" batteries for things you don't care much about, or that the kids
will just leave on anyway?

Also, it is interesting to compare the voltages of
every battery in one device.  Ideally they should decay the same.  If you find
that one battery is totally gone while others are still OK, that suggest poor
quality control by the manufacturer (or that you mixed cells bought at
different times, or mixed new and used cells).  It would not be smart to throw
all your newly-purchased batteries in a heap.  Instead, try to use only cells
from the same package in one device.

Doug

--- On Tue, 2/16/10,

<nogera2 at att.net>
<shop-talk at autox.team.net>
> Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 10:17 AM

Around my house the universal
> solution when a electronic devise fails to

work is " Batteries are dead".  They then go to the
> draw where I keep a

supply of batteries and replace the batteries, throwing the
> old batteries in
> the draw.
> When the devise still fails to work they seek me out saying
> it
is broken. I
> usually respond with something like, 'Did you turn the
> power
switch to ON?'
> Problem solved.
>
> The result of this is I have a draw full
of batteries that
> may or may not be
> used up.
> I have a multi meter and
can check them for voltage but can
> I assume that if
> the voltage is 1.5
that the battery has a lot of life left
> in it?   Also at
> what point would
you say a battery is borderline and toss

http://www.team.net/donate.html

are subscribed as doug at dougbraun.com