[Shop-talk] An off shoot of the Toyota debacle.....

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 4 15:13:38 MST 2010

> but if an RV family must have an automatic
> in their toad, Saturn was a good choice.

Just for clarity, many manual transmission cars suffer from the same
problem.  They rely on the countershaft spinning to fling oil around and
lubricate the works; but the countershaft is geared to the input shaft.
Flat-towing them without disconnecting the driveshaft is not a good idea,
and is generally specifically forbidden except for short distance, low speed
tows.  (ISTR my owner's manual said no more than 40 miles, no more than 40
mph, but I might have misremembered.)

I've got a TR3 input shaft with the bearing ruined, apparently from being
towed a significant distance with the rear wheels on the ground, after it
was wrecked.  Makes a good tool for centering the clutch disc <G>

-- Randall