[Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Tue Feb 2 17:42:29 MST 2010

David Hillman wrote:
>    There seem to be a bunch of different scenarios getting confused
> here. Some people, like Michael, are talking about a situation where
> the engine is running wide-open.  Maybe it's me, but that seems highly
> unlikely. I drive fast, on the street, and I find myself using
> full-throttle almost exactly never.  The only times I've been there in
> my F150 are on race tracks ( recon runs to check an autocross course,
> and running out to retrieve broken/stuck racecars at Autobahn and
> various frozen lakes in Michigan ).  Now granted, a fullsize pickup
> isn't very sporty, but I drive my wife's 295hp Saab sometimes, and
> there's no remotely legal situation where you can get much beyond
> half-throttle.  It was very difficult to reach WOT in any
> marginally-powerful sporty car that I've owned.

And yet, contrary to your own experience, people have found themselves
with stuck throttles in Toyotas, careening down the highway at ~ 100
mph, the brakes burned out or useless.

One does have to start from the known facts.

As for the WOT scenario, you're presuming that all these
throttle-sticking incidents occurred at steady-state input, where it's
just as likely that someone at cruise in high gear could have increased
throttle pressure to pass, or just to keep up with traffic and the
throttle stuck at the more extended position.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....