[Shop-talk] tolerancing a interference or friction fit ???``

john niolon jniolon at bham.rr.com
Thu Apr 8 09:13:18 MDT 2010

I'm still trying to press in some steel sleeved bushings into tubular control
arms for a front suspension I'm doing on my old truck.  Having a devil of a
time.  I'm about to think that the bushings are just too large.   Tried a 6
ton press and it just stalled...  had some luck with a bolt/nut/impact but it
easily destroys the bushing rubbers if it's not perfect...

the control arm bore is mic'ing 1.250 +/- .002   the bushings are anywhere
from 1.260 to 1.268.  No two measure the same.  It's a steel sleeve with
rubber core over a inner steel sleeve that the suspension bolt slides
through.

I'm wondering what a 'friction' fit tolerance should be ??? I'm no millwright
or machinist and  I know the application/metal type/use makes a difference but
are there some general guidelines that would apply...  everything I find on
the net is in engineerspeak and symbols and alchemy/sorcery stuff...

what would be considered an exceptable friction fit for suspension bushings...
.001 to . 003  ??  .015 >??  I haven't got a clue..  help me oh gurus of the
metal melding !!!!!

I've already had to cut out two bushings that hung up on me... there has got
to be a better way... I'm just not smart enough to know it.. and yes
everything is slippery as owl snot before I start trying to press them in...

tia
John

It is not only what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are
accountable.
   Jean Baptiste Moliere