[Shop-talk] Power Washer engine question

Paul Parkanzky parkanzky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:17:34 MDT 2009

We use ultrasonic baths in the laboratory to clean delicate equipment
with very small nozzles and apertures.  We also use them to dissolve
barely soluble solids to make standard solutions.  I've always wanted
one for home and I think that it would be great for all kinds of
cleaning, especially something like a carb.  I just can't justify the
cost of one that I think would be big enough.

Simple Green seems to me like a good choice for a detergent to start
with.  You can also sonicate in organic solvents and that might work
better with a gummed up carb.  To use solvents sparingly, you can fill
the bath with water and then put a glass container just big enough to
hold what you are cleaning (like a jet or other small bit) full of the
solvent of choice in the bath.  You'll have to find a way to anchor it
in the bath because it will be uncomfortable to hold onto for more
than a couple of seconds.  For something as big as a carb though,
you'll likely be better off just filling the bath unless the bath you
have is huge.

Also, if your bath doesn't have a heater I would recommend using hot
water/solvent.  It makes a huge difference.

-Paul

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Elton E. (Tony) Clark
<eltonclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> *I have a ultrasonic unit originally made for watchmakers and jewelers.
 The