[Shop-talk] Grandfather clock.

Mr. Bill bn1 at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 11 21:38:15 MDT 2009

Listers,

I recently inherited a 7' grandfather clock and moved it from safe
country down to earthquake prone So. Cal.  The three weights are ~ 12
#'s each so it is extremely top-heavy when "wound" and they are at the
top.  I know it needs to be attached to the wall but am not sure how.
Should I use a L bracket and mount it solidly or maybe use a cable so it
has a little movement?  Spring?

Second question:  When the front door is opened, it has an extremely
acrid musty odor.  Baking soda seems to do nothing.  I hesitate to use
anything with its own smell for fear of impregnating (Now, now, no puns
please!) the beautiful Pennsylvania Cedar.  Any ideas?

TIA,

Bill Barnett
Santa Ana, CA