[Shop-talk] storing brake components?

Obaa obaa996 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 15:10:35 MST 2009

I've been picking through the remains of a friend's parts car before it goes off to the crusher.  I'm about to pull the brake system (master cylinder, calipers, and rotors) for spares, as they are fairly new (3 months old?) and directly interchange with mine.  However, I'm not likely to actually need them for who knows how long....
What is the best way to prep these for indefinite storage.  I suspect I should be flushing out the residual brake fluid with something, as the old stuff will attract moisture?  What will drive out the brake fluid without causing issues by itself?  I don't think the internals are coated with anything, so the raw steel/aluminum in the bores will likely corrode quickly without some protection.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike