[Shop-talk] Auto gas line repair

Bill Gingerich bill at gingerich.us
Fri Jan 9 17:49:12 MST 2009

My '93 Escort wagon has developed a gas leak in the line that runs from the
tank to the engine.  I've noticed a gas smell around the car the last few
days, and there was small puddle under the drivers' seat this morning.  I
haven't put the car up of the jack stands yet, so I don't know the exact
setup.  I'm assuming it is a metal line.  My question is this: what are my
options to repair it?  Can I cut out the leaking section and use rubber fuel
injection hose to replace it?  Or should I be using metal tubing?  If metal,
what types of fittings are best?  Are standard compression fittings OK?

The other question is if the line is leaking at that one spot, should I
replace the whole line from tank to engine just because the rest might start
leaking too?  I don't want to risk blowing myself up (no, I don't smoke) but
I'm also financially challenged right now, so unnecessary expenses would
like to be avoided.

What say the group?

BillG

OKC