[Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 13:12:14 MST 2009

> Actually, I never figured I'd be in the house for very long, so I never
> got around to it.  15 years later, and I still haven't gotten around to
> setting things up properly.

I'm the same way, mostly, even though I'm pretty sure I'll still be there
for another 5-10 years.  Always something more entertaining than home
improvement.  Which is why my garage lights are all run through extension
cords <G>

But it's not hard to find cheap garage-grade fluorescent fixtures; HD,
K-mart etc frequently have a (2)F48 "shop light" complete with reflector and
hanging chains on sale for around $10 or so and a pair of bulbs shouldn't be
more than $5 or so.  I think the last one I got even came with a cord, but
if not, you should be able to scrounge an old lamp cord or similar, and run
it through a Romex clamp.  Not as cheap as a CFL, but still under $20.

And hanging by a chain generally doesn't count as a "permanent improvement",
so if you move, you can take the new fixture with you if you want.  If an
inspector hassles you, just unplug it.

Randall