[Shop-talk] Stud finder work with metal siding?

cornerexit cornerexit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 01:09:19 MST 2009

My shop is of pole building construction (t-girt/perlin). I finished the
inside which included putting in vertical studs on 16" centers, sheetrock
etc. These studs do not have the exterior metal siding fastened to them so I
can't just go by where screws are located to id the stud locations.

I have a situation where I need to mount a fairly stout bracket to the
exterior of the building and I need to find one of those studs to do so. I
anticipate needing to sink some good sized lag-screws to mount the bracket.
Further, the approximate area of where I need to mount this bracket includes
an area of the wall that has a bunch of electrical wiring running through it
(romex through holes in the studs).

I was wondering if the stud finders would work through the metal skin to
find the studs? Do some of the stud finders also detect electrical wires?

Thanks

Wayne