[Shop-talk] GFCI Question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 2 09:27:47 MST 2008

> Maybe only the test button itself was
> bad and they were actually still working, but why take a chance?

I agree entirely.  But if you wanted to find out, it would be easy enough to
rig a dummy plug with a leak to safety ground in it.  Start with a
replacement 3-prong plug from HD and add a 10-15K 1 watt resistor from Radio
Shack between the hot & ground pins.  Plugging it into a working GFCI should
trip the GFCI instantly.  A second plug with ground shorted to neutral would
test the other function.

Randall