[Shop-talk] water heater troubleshooting

scott.hall at comcast.net scott.hall at comcast.net
Sat Aug 23 18:26:21 MDT 2008

any help on the water heater troubleshooting?

the pilot light lights and seems to stay lit, but the main burner won't fire, as if the thermostat is bad.

this is our first gas heater after about ten years of electric, and I've forgotten the simple fixes.  I seem to remember the thermocouple was the first try, but I thought that was when the pilot wouldn't stay lit either.

I thought I'd check before I crack open the box and have at it.  any common items to try first?

thanks.

scott