[Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)

Paul Mele paul.mele at usermail.com
Mon Nov 12 07:41:23 MST 2007

<<Not sure that this counts as a gem of wisdom; but what my late wife used
say was that she would much rather have me in the garage(shop) than on a
barstool somewhere !>>

Brings back the memory of my first wife yelling in despair: "I'm married to
a man who live is the basement!"  I suspect she's out looking for someone
who lives in a bar now.

What I've learned between first and second marriages...my first didn't
really understand the idea of a hobby; I recall that she had "several" when
we were dating, but the real clue is that none lasted more than a few
months.  Probably a predictor of our relationship as well.
My second wife is a life-long gardener.  Her kids are in late 20's; mine are
16 and 24...so "child rearing" is coming to a close.  Means we both get to
work together and play with our hobbies more than when we had a lot of
child-related "chores".  We do our best to help and be involved in each
other's projects...makes it more fun for lots of reasons.  At the end of
each little project, or the day's work on a big project, each of us makes
sure to go and admire the work of the other...

HTH