[Shop-talk] Squirels in the attic

Peter Schauss schauss at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 29 21:17:43 MDT 2007

We had a similar problem with one or more raccoons when I was about 17,
living near Chicago.  The raccoons where apparently crawling through the 4"
gap between the ground and the bottom of the siding, up through one of the
square columns on the two outside corners, and into the attic.  We tried to
block off the gap between the bottom of the siding and the ground with
rocks, but the raccoons simply pushed one of them to make an entrance.

I built a small wooden frame, just large enough for one of the animals to go
though and nailed a piece of aluminum foil to each side.  I took an old
extension cord and connected one wire to each piece of foil.  We could tell
where the raccoons were entering by their tracks in the snow, so I placed
this frame there, and plugged in the cord.  The following morning we found
one of the rocks on the opposite side of the porch had been pushed aside
with what appeared to be a good bit of force.  We never heard from raccoons
again.

HTH,
Peter Schauss