[Shop-talk] induction system cleaning

Nolan foxtrapper at ispwest.com
Tue Jul 24 04:08:46 MDT 2007

The answer is the great "it depends".

If all you're after is knocking carbon out of the combustion chamber, some
water down the intake does a dandy job.  Unnerves some, but it works very
well.

The chemicals in the DIY kits are good.  Perhaps not as good as some of the
high end shop machines, but still quite powerful at dissolving gooey carbon.

Some engines are far more prone to heavy carbon buildup in the intake
runners and the throttle bodies.  These engines will not be well cleaned by
the DIY kits, typically.  The DIY kits only clean below the point they get
sucked in.  For those really messy manifolds and throttle bodies, the best
DIY approach is to remove the throttle body and manifold, and clean them.

A good shop system that cleans through the throttle body will do a much
better job of cleaning the carbon than the DIY kit, as it reaches areas the
DIY kit does not.

You can probably get a pretty decent idea of your carbon levels in the
intake by just opening the throttle body and looking in.  Black and lumpy is
not a good thing to see.

The performance benefits of carbon clean depend on how much of a mess you've
got in there.  I've seen engines carbon up to the point of no longer
running.  Those engines benefited greatly from a carbon cleaning.  Engines
that were clean to begin with saw really no improvement.