[Oletrucks] OVERDRIVE CONVERSION

Chuck Smith saltrider at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 5 14:29:08 MST 2015

I have a 3 speed Saginaw Transmission with a Borg-Warner OD tail
section.  Xmission # is 3858986 and
overdrive is R10Q-1.  Date codes appear
to be late 66 – early 67.  I’d like to
adapt it to my 1957 Chev pickup with original 235 engine, column 3 speed.  Internet sources identify this transmission
combo as having been used in 66 – 69 Chevrolet and Chevelle cars.  The Saginaw (front) portion is much longer
than on the 1957 but overall length looks the same.  The input looks the same as the 1957 but the
lower mounting holes are clear, not threaded.
The output shaft is a finer spline:
27 versus the 16 spline 1957 output.
  The rear OD housing section is larger in
diameter than the 1957 tailshaft housing but I believe there is plenty of space
underneath the floorboard.  The shifter
shaft locations look close to the 1957 3 speed.

Has anyone made this conversion?
I’m specifically interested in identifying (preferably by model or part
number):

1
Sliding yoke compatible with 27 spline output shaft
and 57 U-joint.

2
Overdrive relay

3
Overdrive kickdown switch

4
Overdrive control cable

5
Were shift rod modifications required?

6
Any problem using the lower clear mounting holes
with the 1957 Bell housing?

7
Speedometer conversion gear(s)

Chuck