[Oletrucks] Rear end swap for a 53 Chevy Truck 3100

Mike J torodrvr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:17:59 MDT 2014

Seventeen years ago I installed an '84 Pontiac Parisienne rear in my '48
3100. Even though the donor was a "big" car, the rear was too narrow.
Easy fix, just use spacers or custom back-space wheels. I now have a '68
Cutlass "12-bolt cover, 10-bolt carrier" rear in the truck. It's a 2.56
rear, which is too tall for my 700-R4 with "normal" diameter tires,
except my +.030 455 has enough torque to pull it. Here's the rub, both
rears were a pain to prepare for installation because of the suspension
brackets. Also they are 4.75" BC, which was great for me, but you might
want 6-bolt wheels. For you I suggest a 4WD S-10/15 rear. Remember to
use spacers or get custom wheels made.
Mike Jensen