[Oletrucks] MIG Welder Opinion

Steven Stuckmeyer slstusmc at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 16:13:32 MDT 2010

Everyone is right on the mark. I bought a Millermatic 150 in '87 and still use
it. It works great for my garage use. 1/4" on down. The gas is a costly first
investment. I have the luxury of use cylinders from work and just pay for the
gas. With the mig flux core to gas is night & day to me when it comes to light
gauge/body work. For light gauge you really need gas. You do need to watch out
for the breezes though.
I checked around back in the day when I bought what I have and if you can go
220, you will get a much better unit.  Also what ever you get make note of the
duty cycle. Mine is 70% which is; 3 minutes on - 7 minutes of (3 minutes
welding - 7 minutes cool down). So you can't go too much, but that duty cycle
never created a boarden for me at home. The units we have at work are 100%, go
all day as hot as you want. I never really experienced an inconvenence except
when going heavy gauge on a hot day. Also make sure what ever you get is
thermal protected.
  As for stick, it takes more practice to get it right where mig... in no time
my daughter was doing great at 13. But again that was back in the day.... she
acts like she never seen a garage now haha.
Steve Stuckmeyer
St Peters, MO