[NOBBC] FEMA SCAM - fraudulent claim in our name

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:13:03 MST 2017

To our members who may be claiming FEMA assistance, please be aware:

Yesterday I received a letter from the US Small Business Administration
Disaster Assistance department, stating that they provide loan
assistance for FEMA to homeowners, renters and businesses, and that I
had recently registered with FEMA for assistance for disaster losses.
Although we live very near to where the recent wildfires occurred, we
did NOT apply for FEMA assistance.

I called the US SBA to notify them, and they told me that in order for
someone to register with FEMA for assistance using my name, they had to
have all of my information, including SSN. This was likely the result of
the Equifax hacking debacle, as my information was one of the many
millions stolen, and is now apparently being sold on the dark web. I
have put a freeze on my wife's and my credit, and you may need to look
into similar protection. Despite having a credit protection service,
whomever applied for FEMA assistance in my name was not blocked from
doing so and getting a registration number! I also received no
notification from the credit protection service. Seems like the entire
system is totally crapped up.

SBA also referred me to the FEMA fraud tip line, and provided me with
the FEMA registration number for the fraudulent request in my name. I
tried to leave a message on the FEMA fraud tip line voice message system
but the mailbox was full, so I sent them an email instead.

The contact information I have is:

U.S. S.B.A.: 1-800-659-2955

FEMA Fraud Tip Line: 1-800-323-8603, option 4

FEMA Fraud email: disaster at leo.gov

I sincerely hope that none of you who need this assistance have had this
happen to you, and that your recovery is as quick and smooth as is possible.

Best to you all,

Greg Tatarian