[Nobbc] Goodwood Car Show

Martin Sinai Rayman drmartyrayman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 18:36:32 MDT 2011

I went to the Good Revival in 2006. The following is the article that I
wrote for The Wind Machine, the voice of the Sorry Safari Touring Club.
Enjoy if so desired. Marty Rayman '53 TD:

*NASCAR MEETS MY FAIR LADY*

* *

*By Marty Rayman*

In the Fall of 2005 my wife, Naomi, asked where I would like to travel for
my 60th birthday celebration, in August 2006.  Without a second thought I
said to England for the Goodwood Revival in Chichester.  If you love vintage
(pre-1966) motorcars and aeroplanes and are an anglophile, this is a trip of
a lifetime.

I started planning the trip by myself.  I soon found that hotels close to
Chichester were booked for the September weekend of the Revival, almost one
year in advance.  Furthermore, coordinating an adventure, including hiring a
vintage motorcar suitable for touring the English countryside, became a
daunting task.  I had noticed an advertisement in *Classic Motorsports *for
a trip to the Goodwood Festival of Speed and a nine day tour of England in
a classic British sports car July 7-15, 2006.  I contacted the company
www.englandspecials.com, spoke to company co-owner Andy Tyacke and found
that they would be providing a similar package for the Revival that would
take place on September 1st- 3rd of 2006.  My wife and I agreed that the
hefty price tag was fair for what it included.  We sent off our deposit and
planned our trip over the internet and with a few phone calls with Andy.  We
were on our way to the Ninth Goodwood Revival and were in for some extra
special treats.

During World War II the Earl of Marchs estate was used by the R.A.F. as a
base. The several squadrons of Spitfires stationed here aided destroying
more than 1,000 enemy aircraft between July 10th and September 15th, 1940 in
what became known as the Battle of Britain.  After the war, the Earl of
March transformed the road surrounding the airfield into a racetrack.  By
1966, the cars became too fast for the track and the races ceased.  Nine
years ago, the lords grandson, Charles March revived the races and this
past September we attended the Ninth Goodwood Revival. See
http://www.goodwood.co.uk/revival.

In 2007, the Revival will be on American television.  The website will have
details.

Attendees are encouraged to wear apparel from 1966 and before, and if one
arrived in a motorcar of the same era, special parking was provided.  On
Friday, there were practice races and air displays and both Saturday and
Sunday there were motorcar and motorcycle races, air displays (Spitfires and
Mustangs) and two special parades. One parade honored Phil Hill, with many
of the cars that he had driven to victory.  Another parade was in
celebration of the Magnificent Microcar. We particularly enjoyed two of
the races.  The St. Marys Trophy was for production salon cars of a type
that raced between 1950 and 1959.  Seven Austins took part.  The Brooklands
Trophy was for cars of a type that raced at Brooklands prior to 1939.  These
racing cars, including 4 MGs, thundered around the track. Austin Healeys
were well represented in the Freddie March Memorial Trophy and the
Floodwater Trophy, with one driven by Stirling Moss. Each day there was
music, food, beer and libation. Attendees, performers, exhibitors, as well
as those dishing our refreshments, and many attendees were in period dress.
Even the trash was collected in trailers hauled by vintage Rovers (all
looked like Defenders) or W.W.II jeeps with the staff wearing Cockney
costumes.  My wife said it looked like NASCAR Meets My Fair Lady.

The excitement began as we approached Chichester; the traffic slowed to a
crawl and we noticed in the queues of traffic Morris Minors, TVRs, Aston
Martins, Austins, bug-eyed Sprites, MGs, Jaguars, and Rovers.  Even vintage
buses and lorries were part of this Goodwood-bound crowd.  When we entered
the grounds there were helicopters flying overhead. Our assigned car park,
for our Lavant Grandstand Seating (I would recommend seats in that
grandstand), was chock full of vintage automobiles plus beautiful examples
of modern English roadsters. For example, MG Fs were in abundance.  As we
got out of our car the air was permeated with the smell of Castrol and
filled with the thundering sound of massive engines.  The sights were all
hidden behind massive hedgerows.  And then, a Spitfire, wheels down for
landing, came roaring low overhead and we knew we were in for a special,
thrilling experience.  Andy Tyacke accompanied us.  He was a fount of
knowledge regarding vintage motorcars and racing.  In the evenings we stayed
at an elegant estate, which had been turned into a hotel.  Many other hotel
guests were also there to attend the Revival.  One group was the Luxembourg
Ferrari Club and the hotels circular drive was filled with eight Ferraris.

On Monday, we picked up our hired motorcar.  I had requested a Triumph TR6.
I wanted a back seat for extra luggage and roll up windows and snug top in
case of inclement weather.  Whilst still at home, we had been notified that
the TR 6 we had reserved had ended up in hospital.  As a result, for no
extra charge, we were given an upgrade roadster.  We were introduced to our
1965 Austin Healey  3000 MKIII (YEE HA!). For nine days of motoring, we had
glorious sunshine and warm, and humid weather.  Our English driving
adventure began with a stop at Stonehendge to witness the full-moon rise and
then we were off to Stow-on-the-Wold for four days of touring the Cotswalds.
Some experiences included the Morgan Works in Malvern, the Motor Museum in
Bourton on the Water, the Upton House and miles of motoring through hedgerow
lines roads and encounters with round-abouts and excellent English food and
drink including the requisite cream tea.  We managed to fill up at fueling
stations, mind the verge (which is the shoulder and particularly important
because we had 4 = inches of clearance on the left), mind the non-self
canceling winker (turn signal, mounted non-ergonomically in the center of
the steering wheel), deal with the dip switch on the floor next to the
clutch, depress the throttle whilst engaging the electronic overdrive in 3rdor
4
th, realize who had priority or preference (right of way), understand that
the yellow stop light comes *after* the red, before turning green, alerting
one to shift into gear, drive on the left, shift on the left (the easiest
part) and of course negotiate those round-a-bouts!

Originally the tour was to include four other hired motorcars and
Andy.  Instead
the other drivers decided to attend the July Goodwood Festival of Speed.  We
had paid our money and Andy Tyacke of England Specials, a true English
gentleman (from Cornwall), said the trip would go on as planned. He brought
along his delightful wife, Inge, and we had, essentially, a private tour
with two wonderful people as our guides.  Andy, an educator in a former
life, was extremely knowledgeable about English history, botany, beer, gin,
motorcars and everything else in between.  After five days of motoring in
tandem, the Tyackes went their way and my wife and I were on our own.  Andy
had provided us with maps, brochures and excellent driving instructions.  He
developed a manual just for our adventure.

We drove on to Sway to be close to attend the internationally known,
two-day, Autojumble (auto flea market) and National Motor Museum in nearby
Beaulieu (buelee).  The autojumble was acres and acres of vintage cars,
auctions, car parts, bicycles, motor cycles and automobilia.  A shopping
list and comfortable shoes are a must.  The thousands of attendees were from
all over the world. After spending the night in Hindon.  We negotiated the M
motorways at 75 mph to Lamberhurst where we had one last lunch in an English
pub and returned the Healey.  That last pub visit provided my favorite beer
to date, Harveys Sussex Best Bitter.  I was so adept at English driving by
that point, with less than a pint, I ably negotiated our way back to the
drop off point.  As a special thank you to my white knuckled wife for
navigating so ably and not digging her fingernails too deeply into the dash,
we took the Euro Star from Ashford, through the Chunnel to spend two and one
half days in Paris.  In Paris we found that walking and the Metro provided a
welcome respite from motorcars.  Anyway, wheres the fun in driving on the
right?

Both my wife and I would recommend this experience without hesitation.  But,
using Andy Tyacke of England Specials is the best piece of advice we can
give you.  That, and to mind your winker.  Believe me, the challenges of
English driving in a vintage motorcar will take anyones mind off turning
60.

If you have any desire to make our adventure yours, please call us or e-mail
for details and recommendations.

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Robin Jackson <apexbrit2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's some Brit car related fun:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/goodwood-revival/8771634/The-Spirit-of-Go
odwood-2011.html

--
*Martin Sinai Rayman, D.D.S.
Pediatric Dentistry*

*Be here now.  Be someplace else later.  Is that so complicated?
*
NOTICE: This communication, including any attachments, is confidential and
may be protected by privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any
use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
please immediately notify the sender by telephone or e-mail, and permanently
delete all copies, electronic or other, you may have. The foregoing applies
even if this notice is embedded in a message that is forwarded or attached.