[Nobbc] Efficient communications - staying on topic

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 07:59:51 MST 2011

Tim's comment supports Ron's request that we stay on topic within a
thread or start a new one. Besides being able to search archives
efficiently, it also gives those who want to communicate to the group
the freedom to do so without feeling like they are only allowed to talk
about the next drive.

I was the lead instigator of starting an email list for members, and
Ron, who had also been thinking about this for some time, arranged with
the Autox group owner to allow us to use their system (thanks go to Ron
and to Mark). Part of having an interactive email list is being able to
discuss all relevant issues of interest to members of the North Bay
British Car Club. As one who has been an active part of the recent
emails, I accept responsibility for my part in letting threads get
off-track, or talking about one subject more than some folks want to
read about.

Keeping our subject lines consistent with a particular discussion (e.g.
no highjacking someone's thread, using separate subject lines for
different subjects), will allow those who are uninterested in a
particular subject or have read enough about it to delete those threads
without fear they are missing out on something important or interesting
to them. It will also reduce the burden on the AutoX server system, as
will deleting original text whenever possible from the email(s) to which
you are replying.

I've never seen any important emails about upcoming drives posted using
a previous thread or confusing subject line, or combined with another
topic, so it's unlikely you'll miss a notice of a drive. Those who
aren't interested in a topic or tire of it, can simply delete emails
with that subject line and not lose sleep. But if we've had members drop
off the list because of the recent volume, we might want to tighten up
our email communication on this list so we don't lose any more, but at
the same time, not stifle those who want to communicate about something
relevant to the focus of this club.

Thanks,
Greg Tatarian